cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] Input for the all-staff call (today 7 p.m. CEST)?

  • From: Ryan Merkley <ryan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org, CC Affiliates <cc-affiliates AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] Input for the all-staff call (today 7 p.m. CEST)?
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 10:05:12 -0700

[cross-posting to cc-affiliates - please continue the discussion there as this issue is not Europe only]

GitHub and mailing lists have very different benefits and functions. I think they can exist in parallel, and the most important decision is how CC's communities want to work together.

For CC HQ, we have decided to use GitHub for our own project management and collaboration. As a distributed team, it quickly became impossible to manage projects in e-mail, and we found lots of things on the cc-staff mailing list that could (and should, IMHO) have been public (to all and to affiliates). Github solves for that, because anyone can see what we're working on in a way that delineates by project, not just a raw feed. It also allows anyone, not just affiliates, to see and contribute to our work. For cross-cutting issues, the lists will still be where we start (and often where the discussion will stay), and we'll of course still post things to the lists that ask people to join us to contribute in Github -- we don't expect people to troll it looking for things.

GitHub is best for working through single issues, tracking accountability, and facilitating contribution. Mailing lists are better for forums and discussion, but from my experience, the number of commenters relative to the number of readers on the list is relatively low. That makes me want to explore other ways to engage people -- I want to hear from the quiet people. :) For now, no one is proposing we do away with the lists, or stop posting to them. But for contribution and collaboration on projects, CC HQ is using GitHub.

r.