cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] Double invitation to contribute to EU COM consultations

  • From: John Weitzmann <johnweitzmann AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] Double invitation to contribute to EU COM consultations
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:44:16 +0200

... what I was about to get on your nerves with on Friday is actually only 1 consultation of the EU Commission (the one on Science 2.0 already highlighted by Gwen) and 1 call to check whether you want to co-sign a letter to the new Commission:

Here's the Science 2.0 link again, contribute until end of September
http://ec.europa.eu/research/consultations/science-2.0/consultation_en.htm
and what CC's own science/policy/legal folks came up with
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BwUhqH00Qs6Xb4qQVANc0t9coIUisYwNc5VwJvV9DCU/edit

Some Wikimedians figure that it is important to welcome the new Commissioners with something concrete that can open up a conversation. They're planning to release a position paper on copyright reform under the label "Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU" and are asking also other organisations to co-sign it. As far as I understood, the Advocacy Group is so far meant for WM chapters only, but everyone in the CC Europe world is invited to co-sign.

CC as a whole will probably not co-sign due to the quite controversial nature of single copyright title for all of Europe (see in the paper, link below) on which there is no clear stance yet policy wise. But from the regional/HQ point of view you are free to nevertheless sign as CC affiliate for your country, because we very much value in our affiliates independent opinions.

Here's the draft position paper text, contribute a.s.a.p.

Best
John