cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] changes to SGDR provisions in v4

  • From: Sarah Pearson <sarah AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Tarmo Toikkanen <tarmo.toikkanen AT aalto.fi>
  • Cc: Jay Yoon <iwillbe99 AT gmail.com>, Leon Felipe Sanchez Ambia <lion05 AT mac.com>, "cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org>, legal <legal AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] changes to SGDR provisions in v4
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 09:39:25 -0700

Hi, Tarmo: Thank you for the email!

The "NonCommercial purposes only" language will only be in the NC licenses. Apologies for not specifying that in my email.

We use "Similar rights" (rather than related or neighboring rights) because we wanted to find a term that does not have legal meaning outside of the licenses.  Because this particular defined term dictates the types of rights captured by the license, we thought it was important to avoid using a term that has a different scope in different jurisdictions. "Similar rights" is intended to include neighboring and related rights, however, and we will make sure to explain this in the educational materials for v4.

best,
Sarah

Sarah Hinchliff Pearson, Senior Counsel
Creative Commons
444 Castro Street, Suite 900
Mountain View, California 94041
skype: sarah-h-pearson
email: sarah AT creativecommons.org

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be legal
advice nor should they be relied upon as, or represented to be legal
advice.  Creative Commons cannot and does not give legal advice.