cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] creative commons and the upcoming EU instrument ontransparency of collective rights management organisations

  • From: Federico Morando <federico.morando AT gmail.com>
  • To: Paul Keller <pk AT kl.nl>
  • Cc: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org, Deborah De Angelis <avv.deborahdeangelis AT virgilio.it>
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] creative commons and the upcoming EU instrument ontransparency of collective rights management organisations
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 19:34:41 +0200

Dear Paul, dear all,

I would like to share with you some notes from Deborah De Angelis, the CC-Italy member who is coordinating the relationships with SIAE, the italian collecting society:

In Italy, authors, who are members of SIAE, are not allowed to use CC license, since SIAE impose an exclusive representation mandate.

In December 2008, SIAE decided to constitute a Legal Working Group with CC to study a way of solving this matter in order to allow authors and composers of music artwork, who are not SIAE’s members, to be represented by the Italian Collecting Society to collect the fees deriving from  the commercial uses of their works (which are licensed with CC licenses including the NC clause).

We have had meetings every 15 days for 6 months and on July 2009, SIAE drafted a new contract, amended by CC representatives, to be offered to the CC authors.

The approval procedure by SIAE would have needed a previous consultation by the SIAE Music Commission and then the vote by its own Council.

We have been informed that the presentation of the project to the SIAE Music Commission should have taken place on September 2009, then it has been postponed to December 2009, and so on.

Unfortunately, as by today, CC didn’t received a clear answer by SIAE even if in few occasions CC formally requested news of what was going on.

Since two years have passed, we may assume that SIAE is be willing to formalize a proper response, even if negative.

Best,

Federico

PS
Please notice that I cannot guarantee a reasonable response time to any email until the 9th of July.