cc-europe - [CC-Europe] next cc europe meeting: digital agenda

  • From: Paul Keller <pk AT kl.nl>
  • To: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Joichi Ito <joi AT ito.com>
  • Subject: [CC-Europe] next cc europe meeting: digital agenda
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 16:35:39 +0200

dear all,

as you will have noticed the EU commission has published its long awaited
digital agenda (pdf at: http://bit.ly/c9qmaG ) yesterday. the digital agenda
covers a fairly broad range of topics and some of these appear to be highly
relevant to our work. The following is based on my quick first reading, but i
would propose that we make this one of the main topics of discussion at our
upcoming meeting in torino.

From the perspective of creative commons the first part of the digital agenda
is particularly interesting. this part deals with 'A vibrant digital single
market' (see full text of this part below) and deals with two issues that we
have been dealing with in the past. the first one is collective rights
management and the second one is public sector information.

With regards to collective rights management the commission signals the need
to overcome the situation where licenses need to be acquired on a per member
state basis and wants to facilitate cross border licensing. In order to
achieve this, the commission is looking to improve the governance and
transparency of collective rights management. This is reflected by the first
action contained in the agenda: the commission will propose a framework
Directive on collective rights management in 2010.

This probably represents the single most important opportunity that we will
ever get to fix the problems that we have with collective rights management
by including in the proposed framework directive the requirement to let
members of collecting societies to opt out of the collective in order to use
Creative Commons (or other open content licenses).

With regards to public sector information the digital agenda stresses the
need to have governments to stimulate the market for open content by making
available public sector information. According to the agenda 'governments can
stimulate content markets by making public sector information available on
transparent, effective, non- discriminatory terms'. One way to express such
terms are of course the licenses and other legal tools provided by Creative
Commons. With regard to this the commission is proposing a review of the
directive in 2012.

In addition the comission is also announcing Green Paper addressing the
opportunities and challenges of online distribution of audiovisual works and
other creative content. Such a green paper will most likely come with a
consultation attached which will provide us with another position to make our
position heard.

also there is a rather cryptic notion in section 2.2.1 that deal with ICT
standard setting on page 15:

> Moreover, guidance on transparent ex-ante disclosure rules for essential
> intellectual property rights and licensing terms and conditions in the
> context of standard- setting, to be provided in particular in the
> forthcoming reform of EU standardisation policy as well as in updated
> antitrust rules on horizontal co-operation agreements, could contribute to
> lower royalty demands for the use of standards and thus to lower market
> entry costs.

i have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, but given Joi's recent
positioning of CC as a protocol/standard it this might be relevant as well
(if somebody here can decipher the language that is)

so much for now and looking forward to discuss this in torino.
paul

> [...]
> to certain territories and to contractually set the level of licence fees.
>
> If need be, additional measures will be examined which take into account
> the specificities of all the different forms of online content. In this
> regard, the Commission does not exclude or favour at this stage any
> particular option or legal instrument. These issues have also been
> addressed by Professor Monti in his report "A new strategy for the Single
> Market", presented to the President of the European Commission on 9 May
> 2010, on which the Commission will follow up with a Communication before
> the summer 2010.
>
> Digital distribution of cultural, journalistic and creative content, being
> cheaper and quicker, enables authors and content providers to reach new and
> larger audiences. Europe needs to push ahead with the creation, production
> and distribution (on all platforms) of digital content. For instance,
> Europe has strong publishers but more competitive online platforms are
> needed. This requires innovative business models, through which content
> would be accessed and paid for in many different ways, that achieve a fair
> balance between right-holders' revenues and the general public's access to
> content and knowledge. Legislation may not be necessary to enable such new
> business models to prosper if all stakeholders cooperate on a contractual
> basis. The availability of a wide and attractive legal online legal offer
> would also be an effective response to piracy.
>
> Public authorities should play their part in promoting markets for online
> content. The challenges of convergence should be addressed in all reviews
> of public policy, including tax matters. For example, governments can
> stimulate content markets by making public sector information available on
> transparent, effective, non- discriminatory terms. This is an important
> source of potential growth of innovative online services. The re-use of
> these information resources has been partly harmonised5, but additionally
> public bodies must be obliged to open up data resources for cross-border
> applications and services
>
> ACTIONS: The Commission will:
>
> • Key Action 1: Simplify copyright clearance, management and cross-border
> licensing by
>
> • Enhancing the governance, transparency and pan European licensing for
> (online) rights management by proposing a framework Directive on
> collective rights management by 2010;
>
> • Create a legal framework to facilitate the digitisation and dissemination
> of
> cultural works in Europe by proposing a Directive on orphan works by
> 2010, to conduct a dialogue with stakeholders with a view to further
> measures
> on out-of print works, complemented by rights information databases;
>
> • By 2012, review the Directive on Re-Use of Public Sector Information,
> notably its scope and principles on charging for access and use

[...]

--
Kennisland | Knowledgeland
t: +31205756720 | m: +31641374687

  • [CC-Europe] next cc europe meeting: digital agenda, Paul Keller, 05/20/2010