cc-europe - [Cc-europe] Fwd: [Communia-members] 23 January: Geneva-->Zurich

  • From: Catharina Maracke <catharina AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-europe] Fwd: [Communia-members] 23 January: Geneva-->Zurich
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 00:25:32 +0100

Dear all,

Please see Juan Carlos E-Mail below and please let's discuss an alternative meeting for CC Europe as well.

Best,

Catharina

Begin forwarded message:

From: "J.C. De Martin" <demartin AT polito.it>
Date: December 4, 2008 10:46:31 PM GMT+01:00
Subject: [Communia-members] 23 January: Geneva-->Zurich

Dear All,

I am sorry to inform you that after several months
of efforts and dedication, particularly by our great
St. Gallen team, that is, Silke Ernst, Jan Gerlach and Urs Gasser,
yesterday our attempt to organize a joint workshop with
the European Broadcasting Union collapsed.

According to the EBU people, in fact, the
choice of available hotels in Geneva for the days
around Jan. 23 was too limited (either too far
away or too expensive), which in their view
would certainly cause very poor attendance by EBU members.
For political reasons they did not want to run
such risk, hence the cancellation.
(Apparently there is a huge event going on
in Geneva during that weekend).

(Before you ask: yes, EBU people was supposed to
handle hotel issues, and, no, they did not think
to reserve a block of rooms well in advance.
And, no, postponement was not feasible).

After having overcome much more substantial
obstacles with EBU, it is very frustrating to fail
for such an easily avoidable obstacle, but that is it.
We have to deal with it and move on.

The plan is the following: the 4th COMMUNIA workshop
is confirmed on Friday, 23 January 2009, but
it will take place in (or around) ZURICH,
rather than Geneva. Please plan your travel
accordingly. Jan and Silke will send hotel information
shortly.

Regarding the content of the event, together with the
Swiss organizers, we decided that it will
be an actual workshop, that is, both plenary and parallel
session where we will discuss the 1st year review
of the project and plan future actions, work
on WG projects, such as, map the public domain,
write a new mission statement for COMMUNIA,
work on public domain calculators, write documents, etc.

It is obviously a plan B, but I believe there is a lot
in favor of it:
1. it is timely, since it comes right after the 1st year
  review (finished on Nov. 14th);
2. we have several things we want to accomplish but
  little time to do so: a full day of common work
  can produce something quite tangible;
3. we will finally have time to collectively prepare
  the future steps of the network.

We plan to send a draft program of the day shortly.
If you have any idea or proposal, please share them with
us right away.

In the meantime, please adjust your travel plans
(without fear of further uncertainties) and stay tuned
for further info regarding hotel and program.

I am confident that we will make the 4th workshop a great event.

Thanks, best,

juan carlos

prof. juan carlos de martin
coordinator - COMMUNIA project