cc-europe - [Cc-europe] draft letter to the CC Board on communication and governance

  • From: "J.C. De Martin" <demartin AT polito.it>
  • To: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-europe] draft letter to the CC Board on communication and governance
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:49:09 -0000

Dear All,

Here is, as promised in Torino in January,
a draft of a letter to be sent to the CC Board
by whomever agrees.

I believe the substance reflects what
discussed at the meeting. The form
is obviously open to improvements.

Please let me know whether you wish
to add your signature.

It is probably a good idea to send
the letter shortly, now that
the memory of CC+ and CC0 is still fresh.

Best,

juan carlos

------------------------------

Dear CC Board:

As leads of national CC projects, we would like
to bring to your attention a few thoughts regarding
communication and governance within the overall
CC Project.

Regarding communication, we believe that all
major CC announcements should be pre-announced
to national projects, to give us the time
to -at least- be prepared to answer questions
from our national media and from the commoners.

Pre-announcements were made a few times with
Mia Garlick, but it clearly did not happen
with the recent introduction
of CC0 and CC+.

Some of us learned about these initiatives
when the press called us in the morning asking
for interviews.
Not good for us, not good for CC.

To avoid it in the future, timely pre-announcements
to national projects should be standard policy
of CC Headquarters.

Information brings to governance.

As we have said, we need, at the very least, to be
timely and thoroughly informed.

But more -perhaps much more-
could be accomplished if the national projects
were involved, in some form, in the decision making
process of CC HQ.

CC is, in fact, now a global project. The impact of any
decision taken by CC HQ reverberates across the globe,
impacting hundreds of highly-qualified, dedicated volunteers.
Not to mention the scores of people and institutions
who use and support CC licenses.

Early involvement of the national projects could
provide useful information to both understand
the impact of potential CC decisions as well
as technical advice that, if followed upon,
could -sometimes- strengthen CC initiatives
when implemented worldwide.

For the sake of clarity, Creative Commons International
is currently doing, in our opinion, a great job in handling
the national projects. Their support is timely,
professional and greatly appreciated.

But the above issues are CC HQ related,
hence our addressing you, the CC Board.

Thank you for your attention,
we look forward to hearing from you.
If you need any additional information,
please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

juan carlos de martin - cc italy

  • [Cc-europe] draft letter to the CC Board on communication and governance, J.C. De Martin, 03/31/2008