cc-education - Re: [cc-education] OLPC Thoughts

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Stephen Downes <stephen AT downes.ca>
  • To: cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] OLPC Thoughts
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:19:19 -0300

Hiya,

My own thought is that the purpose of licenses addressed at specific target groups, such as kids, is:
(a) to create a market of customers used to receiving a certain sort of content
(b) to charge commercial access fees for the same content outside that market.

So my own inclination is not to support such licenses. I see no reason to start charging a person for content just because they turn 18, and have no interest in supporting a mechanism that makes this possible.

Just my view.

-- Stephen

AYO KUSAMOTU wrote:

Here are some of the thoughts expressed so far :

1. New (Kids-Only?) License(s)

The creation of a new CC licenses or licenses that
allowed free
reuse of work by children only. This would
conceivably be used by
folks trying to license their content for children.
There are other
licenses, like the developing nations license, that might
conceivably be modified for OLPC use.
2. Rewording Existing Licensing Descriptions for
Children

An organized effort to reword or rewrite the
current descriptions
of CC licenses so that they are understandable by
children.

3. CC-Connected Publishing Tools

A project to ensure that OLPC-created authoring and
publishing
tools are able to speak and express CC-style
metadata out of the
box.

4. Statement/Position in Favor of Free Access of Kids
Works
A principled statement or position in favor of free
and fair reuse
and a plan to build this into the OLPC platform and
software
without bogging kids down in a licensing and
copyright discussion
that intrudes upon content creation.

In our short conversation in Cambridge, we seemed to
think that the
second, third, and fourth items were each things we
wanted to pursue.

The first item was not something that we were
particularly interested
in pursuing for a number of reasons. These range from
general concerns
with license proliferation to concerns about
enforceability to the
lack of a stated by desire by content producers for
such a license.

Most importantly IMHO, a "kids-only" license seems to
contradict our
previous statements to software producers against
well-intentioned
not-quite-free/open software because it would not
create a platform
that would be able to grow up with the children.

I think we would be best served to work closely with
CC to help them
rewrite their license descriptions so that kids can
understand them
and to help integrate the ability to deal with CC
metadata into the
publishing tools in OLPC software.