cc-education - Re: [cc-education] Giveback

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons" <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] Giveback
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 02:59:34 -0500 (EST)

> For every hour that her class spends using open course content,
> the teacher and/or her students owe an hour’s time
> (contributing to the project)

well, you say this is a "moral" obligation, not a "legal"
obligation, which begs the question as to why you would
then put it in a legal license?

I have a hard time seeing how it would be legally enforcable,
so it might be made null and void anyway.

If it isn't a legally binding clause, then you could simply
slap it on the work as a "moral" clause that contains no
legal bearing, and still say the work is CC licensed.

I think that wikipedia has shown that you need to make
the tools so that editing a single word is extremely easy,
which will then encourage the many small additions you speak of.
Wikipedia could have attempted a moral clause, but it didn't.
instead it used a simple GPL license and pasted a "moral"
clause throughout saying: "Anyone may edit this page".