cc-education - [cc-education] "NonCommercial" - again.

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT math.umd.edu>
  • To: cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-education] "NonCommercial" - again.
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:46:52 -0400

Hello,

The "NonCommercial" clause seems to confuse several people, including
myself. Maybe if I asked about specific scenarios, and whether they are ok
or not, would clear things up a bit:

1) I have a friend who has written teaching materials, which he doesn't
want people selling. But he does want people to use them to teach, in a
setting where the teacher gets paid.

Does the NC license do what he wants?

2) Say I take an NC manual to Kinko's for printing. Kinko's reproduction
process is definitely intended for commercial gain. Is Kinko's allowed to
print this manual?

3) Can a church sell NC material as fund raising for summer missions?

4) Can NC work be used in advertising a commercial product?
What if I put the NC work on a website right next to a banner add for my
product?

5) Say I make a business selling OpenOffice.org plugins. If I distribute a
lot of NC OOo manuals, I would be increasing my potential market. So it is
in my commercial interest to do so. Does that mean I wouldn't be allowed
to put the hypothetical NC manual on a website with free download?

Any answers, ideas or commets would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today! | I want it Tuesday.

  • [cc-education] "NonCommercial" - again., Daniel Carrera, 04/11/2005