cc-education - Re: [cc-education] Re: A new hope for cc.edu

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: david.wiley AT usu.edu, "development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons" <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] Re: A new hope for cc.edu
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 22:58:15 -0400 (EDT)

David Wiley said:
> On Apr 3, 2005 4:49 PM, Sanford Forte <siforte AT ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> What happens of a for-profit publisher sets up a non-profit educational
>> publishing arm? For that matter, anyone could do this. How does this
>> license
>> deal with that scenario?
>
> They would be free to sell copies of the content, as would the
> for-profit publisher, as long as they sold at cost and not for a
> profit (no matter how small). If they *did* want to sell at a profit,
> all they would need to do is contact the rights holder and negotiate a
> new agreement.

My understanding of CC-NonCommercial is that "selling at cost"
or "not selling for a profit" still qualifies as commercial use,
and therefore would not be allowed under CC-NonCommercial.

Which is my point. A lot of "Education" uses will not be permitted
by the CC-BY-NC-SA license which are educational (selling textbooks,
using materials as a paid instructor teaching a course, etc)

One of us is misunderstanding what is allowed under CC-NonCommercial.

<NonCommercial license>
You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in Section 3 above in
any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial
advantage or private monetary compensation. The exchange of the Work for other
copyrighted works by means of digital file-sharing or otherwise shall not be
considered to be intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or
private monetary compensation, provided there is no payment of any monetary
compensation in connection with the exchange of copyrighted works.
<\end>

"no payment of any monetary compensation"

It doesn't say "provided the work is sold at cost"