cc-education - [cc-education] Voting and the draft

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <dw2 AT opencontent.org>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-education] Voting and the draft
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:11:44 -0700

Everyone,

I've been contacted offlist by someone who is confused about what is happening with the current "vote." Lest the wrong expectations be set up, I want to reiterate what we are doing and why we are currently holding a vote.

The process CC has established (as applies to the current discussion) is as follows: Project lead creates draft, Public discussion group provides feedback, Project lead creates second draft. This is the CC license development process.

The purpose of the current vote is not to determine whether or not we should move forward with the license draft process. As I indicated in my last letter, the discussion group is not empowered to make this decision. The current vote is not about whether or not to have a CC Education License.

The purpose of the current vote is not to *determine* the contents of the second draft. The discussion group is not empowered to make this decision either. The discussion group is empowered to provide feedback on the first draft which the project lead takes into account when writing the second draft.

The purpose of the current vote *is* to help the project lead determine what everyone's most current thinking is regarding the various license clauses and options we have been discussing for the last eight months. The purpose of the current vote is to make sure that the project lead has the best data available when s/he creates the second draft.

Will the language of the second draft reflect exactly the outcome of the discussion group's voting? Probably not. The purpose of the vote is to *inform* the final decision. The purpose of the vote is not to *make* the final decision. Under the CC process, the group is not empowered to make the final decision.

I hope this clarifies what we are currently doing.

If you have any other questions regarding how the process works, please forward them on to me. If you have criticism of the process or suggestions about how you feel the process *should* work, please do not send them to me or to the list. Neither I nor the list are empowered to do anything about the process. Please send these comments somewhere else, lest they appear to be (and very actually be) pointless complaining.

I join Zachary in commending CC for involving all willing participants in the process at all. Despite previous comments to the contrary, this extra time, effort, and pain shows that CC wants to go the extra mile and involve the community in every license project they undertake.