cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Interesting problem

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Dan Mills <dan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Maarten Zeinstra <mz AT kl.nl>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org devel" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Interesting problem
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 12:21:19 -0700

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 5:58 AM, Maarten Zeinstra <mz AT kl.nl> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for the extensive reply.
>
> It indeed looks like the scraper needs a thorough rebuild to be properly
> used in todays internet. One solution to bypass this is to create a tool
> that works on the licensor page, not on the deed page. That way we would be
> able to use the info on that page and not look for referrers. Which you
> could argue is something the Creative Commons should perhaps never do in
> the first place..

Tools that run on the licensor's page are one piece of the puzzle.
Thanish, one of this year's GSoC interns, mocked these up a couple of
months ago:

http://mnmtanish.github.io/cc-attribution-helper/widget.designs/widget.old/single.html
http://mnmtanish.github.io/cc-attribution-helper/widget.designs/widget.fullscreen/index.html

Icon positioning is off on the 2nd one, should be halfway on the
image/halfway sticking out. But should give you an idea anyway.

I stopped focusing on those for the time being, for a few reasons
including that it's hard to imagine how it would work for a
non-technical user in isolation of other services (like: a works DB
where the details can be maintained, software to automatically
recognize/track content, etc).

So I'm currently focusing on a specific vertical (k-12 education), and
how they remix content. In doing so, I can build a specific flavor of
attribution as it matters to those users. See the storyboard at the
end of this page:

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Products/Pasteboard

Not sure what the attribution block would look like, that's just a
rough sketch. Full metadata details would be elsewhere (linked to at
the bottom of the block).

In any case, it's abundantly clear to me that the scraper approach has
outlived its usefulness. Very few people add the required metadata
into their pages, SSL is now becoming widespread, and we need to think
about non-desktop app platforms as well[1], where the scraper is
meaningless. We should deprecate the scraper and move on.

Dan

[1]: http://www.wirfs-brock.com/allen/posts/490