cc-devel - [cc-devel] The CC licenses are hard to understand, therefore, hard to use

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Eduardo Alberto Hernández Muñoz <coz.eduardo.hernandez AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] The CC licenses are hard to understand, therefore, hard to use
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 15:08:38 -0430

Seems asking a question about the CC licenses, always triggers saying
'talk to a lawyer', the problem being, that usually the questions are
about understanding the license.

For example, http://forum.creativecommons.org/topic/182 . It's like
blind people leading blind people. Granted, I suppose I would be
one-eyed in that conversation.

It seems the CC licenses indeed make it easy for the artists to apply
them to new work, and there's good work being done to promote this.

But what when someone actually wants to reuse them? If you are going
to reuse an exact copy, it seems easy enough... almost. The CC is
promoted as being something you can just 'copy and create derivative
works', but I believe that grouping these two together misleads people
to think that the terms for copying and creating derivative works are
the same, when they are not.

For example, if I find a CC-BY image, I can't just sublicense the
image under the CC-BY-SA. But, I could just change the image's format
from .png to .jpg, and that restriction is removed.

I was going to make a longer post, but seeing as how much spam the
official forum has and how many unanswered questions there are, I
don't want to be dissapointed when I get no reply.

- Eduardo Hernandez