cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] API changes for liblicense: drop ll_get_name() and friends

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Nathan Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Asheesh Laroia" <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] API changes for liblicense: drop ll_get_name() and friends
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:23:39 -0800

On 1/7/08, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
> I'm preparing liblicense for a 0.5 release. There's been a lot of great
> work in liblicense done by people who aren't me over the last few months,
> and it's (way past) time for that work to see a general release.
>
> I'm inventorying it now to see what else should be done before 0.5. I
> came up with an API switch I wanted to make, so I thought I'd ask the list
> about it. (NY, this includes you - I haven't asked anyone other than my
> head about this.) Be warned: No comments on this mean I'm going to get my
> way!
>
> We have some ll_get_* functions, like ll_get_name, ll_get_jurisdiction,
> and ll_get_version, and also a general ll_get_attribute() function. I
> would like to remove the named ll_get_* functions and require users of the
> license to use the ll_get_attribute(license_uri, LL_ATTRIBUTE_URI_PERMITS)
> syntax.

I'm ++1 on this ;). I think I suggested something similar late summer
and there was some push back. Of course, times change and we're
breaking ABI compatibility anyway, so... maybe *I'll* get my way
(albeit belatedly). I should probably point out that my opinion has
no special standing here; I'm willing to be shouted down.

I'm also in favor of shortening the constant names. I'd probably go
so far as LL_REQUIRES, etc.