cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] [Cctools-cchost] About Creative Commons Metadata

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Snic Huang <jmsogytr AT gmail.com>, Roan Horning <roan AT horning.us>, Victor Stone <fourstones.net AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, cctools-cchost AT lists.sourceforge.net
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] [Cctools-cchost] About Creative Commons Metadata
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 10:19:39 -0700

On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 21:43 +0800, Snic Huang wrote:
> Hi Jon! Does only Creative Commons Metadata can be embedded in mp3
> file in cchost?

I haven't looked at this code closely, but ccHost uses getid3 writer
which writes specific metadata into associated file formats. Victor, can
you enlighten us a bit more please on which file formats and what is
written?

Roan, can you also let us know what you looked at doing with this? Roan
worked on adding SVG write support...he added SVG read support.

NOTE: The getid3 library should be renamed because it does way more than
just getting id3 metadata out of files...it also reads and writes
different metadata from different file types.

> At present, Only HTML, RSS, MP3, Ogg, PDF, image formats, SMIL had
> supported Creative Commons Metadat.
> (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/UsingMarkup)
> Are there other file formats?

Yes, this list is not complete by any means. Yes, we would love to
support the best approaches outlined on the Creative Commons wiki for
metadata embedding. The current recommendation is to use Adobe's XMP
(http://wiki.creativecommons.org/XMP) for every file type, with the
major exception being mp3, of which, id3 is an established hacky
standard.

> I went to embed Creative Commons Metadat in supported files in cchost,
> how can I do that? Or using rdf had enough?
> What do you think?

What file types do you want to embed cc metadata into. Also, you might
want to have this discussion as well on cc-devel, which I will cc...

Jon