cc-devel - [cc-devel] Summer of Code wrap-up (1 of 2)

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] Summer of Code wrap-up (1 of 2)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:40:55 -0400

I wanted to let everyone know how three of our four Summer of Code
projects concluded. The final project, ccHost support in ccPublisher,
is being mentored by Jon, so I'll let him make an announcement once he's
completed the evaluation.

One project, RDFa Support in MozCC, was terminated at the mid-term
evaluation. That project is currently being implemented by myself as
part of MozCC 2 (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/MozCC).

Luke Hoersten tackled the project of supporting Creative Commons
licenses with the Banshee music player for the Gnome desktop. Luke did
an excellent job communicating with the Banshee development community
and we're currently waiting for his patch to be integrated with Banshee.
You can find an excellent summary of his work in the wiki at
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CcBanshee. Thanks, Luke!

Rob Litzke worked on a two-pronged project: supporting Flickr as a
backend for ccPublisher, and implementing EXIF metadata embedding.
Unfortunately Rob was not able to complete the EXIF embedding portion,
but his work with Flickr provided excellent feedback on the ccPublisher
extensibility model. We'll be merging his work to the trunk of
ccPublisher over the next month, and will have Flickr support available
around or shortly after the 2.4 release. Thanks, Rob!

Thanks to everyone in the community who helped answer questions and gave
feedback to these developers. And a public thanks to Google for
supporting Creative Commons. I hope that both Luke and Rob remain
active contributors to their respective projects.

Nathan

--
Nathan R. Yergler
Senior Software Engineer

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:NathanYergler

  • [cc-devel] Summer of Code wrap-up (1 of 2), Nathan R. Yergler, 08/28/2006