cc-devel - [cc-devel] interesting desktop developments: metadata, portland project

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • To: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-devel] interesting desktop developments: metadata, portland project
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:30:50 -0700

I am lightly tracking the development of operating system and
desktop-level integration of Creative Commons licensing, and came across
these interesting developments:

http://textoplano.livejournal.com/3439.html

Also, I noticed that freedesktop.org is hosting a couple of projects for
desktop-based search (Tracker) (similar to apple's spotlight and beagle,
except desktop-neutral) and a shared metadata spec.

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Tracker

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards/shared-filemetadata-spec

I have joined this tracker-list to keep tabs and find out what is
happening on these fronts, how connected this project is, etc.

I also have started a discussion on this list about how this shared
metadata spec might be amended with CC licensing and how we already
support metadata. If anyone is interested, please join me on the
tracker-list where these discussions are taking place.

I am very unclear what the level of participation is on this project and
believe it to be 1-5 developers right now. If there are more developers
and organizational connections, it is something we should think about
supporting and figure out how to connect with...

Also, I would like to mention the Portland Project, which is another
fd.o project, and supported by OSDL, Intel, IBM, etc. This is an
interesting desktop project: "Portland intends to generate a common set
of Linux Desktop Interfaces and Tools to allow all applications to
easily integrate with the free desktop configuration an end user has
chosen to work with."

This project is not fluff and is hopefully including some of the Create
Projects (http://create.freedesktop.org) specs. and Creative Commons
specs as well. If anyone is interested in these topics, please join the
portland list and help me push this project up hill as well to support
licensing (and Creative Commons licensing) on the desktop...

Jon

--
Jon Phillips

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon AT rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

MSN, AIM, Yahoo Chat: kidproto
Jabber Chat: rejon AT gristle.org
IRC: rejon AT irc.freenode.net

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)
Creative Commons (www.creativecommons.org)
San Francisco Art Institute (www.sfai.edu)

  • [cc-devel] interesting desktop developments: metadata, portland project, Jon Phillips, 08/14/2006