cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] P2P Content Store

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Bjorn Wijers <mailings AT bdisfunctional.net>
  • To: Scott Shawcroft <shux_linux AT comcast.net>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] P2P Content Store
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 19:52:28 +0200

Hi Scott,

I'm glad you took a look.

No problem.

There are two main purposes. The first is
to allow artists to network and collaborate.

Question that directly pops up is what kind of artists do you want to facilitate? Musicians? Video? Both? Others? I think this has quite an impact on the possible collaborations, tools, methods etc. BTW for musicians you can have a look at Ninjam http://www.ninjam.com/

The second is to allow
legal distribution and payment for files.

Cool. Also have a look at what these people http://participatoryculture.org/ are doing for the distribution and especially the ease of use. Another legal p2p system with some interesting features is www.tribler.org (supported by the Dutch government and the Delft University). I'm curious about the payment aspect.

I am aiming to develop it
so that an artist has no costs associated with digital distribution.
I hope to build a system which reduces the costs of distribution so
much so that it could be supported by donations.

Interesting. Donations can range in the tens but also in the millions. What is the maximum amount of costs involved for the artist that you're aiming at?

The most logical way
to do this is a P2P based network.

Or a combination of website and p2p just for the distribution?

These purposes have led me to
Jabber and Bittorrent. All content will be tagged with appropriate
licenses including CC licenses. This way people can learn the basics
of legal filesharing and remixing.

Many people don't feel the
creative power of CC licenses.
As in: they don't use somebody elses work to build upon?

Also, with OpenAPI's we'd also enable
things such as collaborative editing and such.

Open API's are always interesting :)

Hope my thoughts and remarks somehow can help you,

grtz
BjornW