cc-ca - [Cc-ca] Intro & queries...

cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Canada

  • From: Pascal Gaudette <pascal_gaudette AT yahoo.ca>
  • To: cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-ca] Intro & queries...
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:03:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I'm a grad student in anthropology at Universite de
Montreal (actually a returning student: I worked a
long time as a software developer). I'm part of a
research group studying globalization. We're thinking
of (and I'm pushing for) making a canadian CC license
our official recommended license for our content.
However, there are some issues we're wondering about,
and I'm hoping this list can shed some light on
them...

We will have contributors from many parts of the world
- our research group spans many universities. We'll
be recommending a license for our contributors, but
not imposing it. At minimum, we need our authors to
give us the right to redistribute - ie publish their
content on our Web site.

But, say an american professor sends us some content
for our site and he agrees to a CC license. Should we
ask that he license that content under a *canadian* CC
license, or an american one? Or should we require
dual-licensing? (Or does dual-licensing even make
sense outside of the context of software?)

There are also issues if someone wants to give *just
us* the right to redistribute. The most restrictive
CC license gives the right to redistribute to
*anyone*, right? So under that license, people that
download from our site could turn around and
redistribute themselves. Which implies that in this
case, an author must use some other way to license her
content to us, correct?

We want to encourage relatively open licensing for our
content, and at the same time cover our legal
behinds... We're hoping CC-CA licenses are exactly
what the doctor ordered. :)

BTW, has this list really been quiet for the whole of
August or are the archives
(https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-ca/) in need of
updating?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

=====
Pascal Gaudette <pascal_gaudette AT yahoo.ca>

  • [Cc-ca] Intro & queries..., Pascal Gaudette, 08/30/2004