cc-ca - [Cc-ca] Removal of the private copying section in section 4(e)

cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Canada

  • From: "Ian" <ian.kerr AT utoronto.ca>
  • To: <cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-ca] Removal of the private copying section in section 4(e)
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:43:28 -0400

Greetings,

My name is Ian M.  I am a research fellow at CIPPIC and I am assisting Professor Bornfreund with the Canadian Creative Commons initiative.

Potential change to the draft CCC licence:  removal of the private copying section, 4(e).

The Rationale:

First, the 4(e) section will contradict the rest of the license. For example:

1. Every licence allows users to perform the licensed work.  4(e) specifies that performance is not allowed

2. When a licensor wants to allow commercial use.  4(e) specifies that you may not engage in a commercial purpose.

Second, the section is unnecessary: every CCC licence confers the ability to make personal copies anyways.

Although it is unnecessary, the private copying provisions might be mentioned in section 2:

2. Fair Dealing Rights. Nothing in this licence is intended to reduce, limit, or restrict any rights accruing to fair dealing7, and those exemptions afforded to educational institutions, libraries, archives, museums, computer programs, incidental inclusions, and ephemeral recordings, or other limitations, such as the s80 private copying provision, on the exclusive rights of the copyright owner under copyright law or other applicable laws

Ian M

  • [Cc-ca] Removal of the private copying section in section 4(e), Ian, 07/13/2004