cc-ca - RE: [Cc-ca] Response to Sheila Crossey

cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Canada

  • From: "Ian" <ian.kerr AT utoronto.ca>
  • To: <cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Cc-ca] Response to Sheila Crossey
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:52:14 -0400

Greetings,

My name is
Ian M. I am a research fellow at CIPPIC and I am assisting Professor Bornfreund with the Canadian Creative Commons initiative.

Below is a response to Russell's comments on
June 30th, 2004.

Examples of Moral Rights

Individuals might not want to waive their moral right to be associated with a work for a number of reasons:

  1. they want to attract interest in their future works.
  2. they want to augment their reputations.
  3. they want to receive input/feedback on their works

Individuals might not want to waive their moral right to the integrity of a work and risk some kind of degradation or perversion:

  1. having their works associated with some distasteful commercial product.
  2. having their works used in propaganda.

The right to the Integrity of a work is important for CC licences because licensors really don’t know who is downloading their work (it might a distasteful organization).  Whereas, if creators are selling rights, they can exercise more control (i.e. not let distasteful organizations buy their work in the first place).

People don’t know about Moral Rights

It is a good point.  It is probably applicable to commercial copyright licences as well.  People buying copyright might well expect to be able to do anything with it.  Although, if they have money to buy copyright, they probably also have a lawyer to tell them about moral rights.  CC users won't generally have lawyers so Russell is right, many users of CC licences may have no idea about moral rights.

One thing that can be done is to have a section in the Human-Readable CC deed about moral rights, accompanied by a representative symbol.  We are working on this now and are open to suggestions about a symbol.

A symbol already exists for the 'moral right to be associated with a work', BY:

We still need a symbol for the 'moral right to integrity' and possibly a symbol for 'moral rights' in general.

Uncertainty

Making the waiver of moral rights automatic in CC licences would increase the certainty of users.

However, waiver of moral rights would require an active choice by creators and, at present, we don’t want to make the licence selection process any more complicated.  It is certainly an option in the future.  Naturally, it is not the intention of CC to deprive creators of any rights that they reasonably might want to keep (no matter how much certainty it would give users).

Ian M