cc-bizcom - [Cc-bizcom] tv and radio content question

cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A discussion of hybrid open source and proprietary licensing models.

  • From: Tom Poe <tompoe AT fngi.net>
  • To: cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-bizcom] tv and radio content question
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:41:58 -0500

Iowa enacted a law in April of this year, taking state control of community franchise contracts. The law gives legal weight to communities for obtaining public, education, government (PEG) channels for their communities. Communities with less than 50,000 population are entitled to 2 PEG channels. These are analog channels we generally call public access tv channels. It's important to recognize that a tv broadcast station can be realized simply by taking a low-end computer that is donated, load it with audio and video software freely available from Stanford University's Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics, add a microphone, camera, and one now has a community-based recording studio that produces the same quality tv and radio shows as the major broadcast networks produce.
It's also important to recognize that each analog channel translates, on February 9, 2009, into 8 digital channels, i.e., each analog channel can handle 8 digital channels. It would seem, that in the state of Iowa, on February 10, 2009, some 80,000 digital channels could simulataneously hit the airwaves with live interactive tv and radio talk shows, all of which will be recorded, and syndicated throughout the nation, and around the world. That's 80,000 channels, and how many shows each day, all hitting the airwaves! Up until today, it was an expensive proposition to establish and maintain a community public access tv station. On February 10, 2009, even those communities with 600 residents will be entitled to, and be able to afford, operate 16 PEG channels. Believe me, Iowans have a lot to say on a lot of topics dear to their hearts. :)

So, as I move forward to make sure the state of Iowa's fiber optic network (used for broadcasting Iowa Public TV, which blankets almost all of Iowa, is providing that last mile solution for every community, I need to know if live interactive tv and radio shows have an appropriate CC license to display on every show produced. Any ideas appreciated.
Tom Poe, Charles City, Iowa

  • [Cc-bizcom] tv and radio content question, Tom Poe, 07/11/2007