cc-bizcom - [Cc-bizcom] NYTimes.com: I.B.M. Hopes to Profit by Making Patents Available Free

cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A discussion of hybrid open source and proprietary licensing models.

  • From: "Marshall W. Van Alstyne" <marshall AT MIT.EDU>
  • To: cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-bizcom] NYTimes.com: I.B.M. Hopes to Profit by Making Patents Available Free
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:00:45 -0400

IBM seems to be reprising it's news from last Jan. about opening up its patent portfolio. An interesting twist is that they mention an interest in taking the lead (perhaps publicity lead) in being more open, but it's all a big experiment. There's almost no mention of a specific business model beyond fostering adoption and key standards.

There's also a hint late in the article that openness could be an attempt to head off unfavorable policy dcsns in the US, EU, and China.

TECHNOLOGY | April 11, 2005
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/11/technology/11ibm.html?ex=1113796800&en=2d9a68ffc58e2778&ei=5070>I.B.M. Hopes to Profit by Making Patents Available Free
By STEVE LOHR
I.B.M. is renowned for its big, rich storehouse of patented inventions. So why is it giving away some of its research for free?
[]

JPEG image

  • [Cc-bizcom] NYTimes.com: I.B.M. Hopes to Profit by Making Patents Available Free, Marshall W. Van Alstyne, 04/10/2005