cc-bizcom - Re: [Cc-bizcom] The Open Gaming License

cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A discussion of hybrid open source and proprietary licensing models.

  • From: Marshall Van Alstyne <marshall AT MIT.EDU>
  • To: cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-bizcom] The Open Gaming License
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:18:27 -0400

At 01:44 PM 9/2/2004, Rob Myers wrote:
Wizards of the Coast (WotC), a division of Hasbro, were responsible for the Pokemon card game craze. They used some of the money from this to buy the ailing Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) Role-Playing Game (RPG) from its bankrupt owners. RPGs, of which D&D is the first and most successful, are a global multi-million-dollar market. But by the end of the 1990s this market was shrinking fast. WotC had to have a sound business plan to justify aquiring D&D.

The modular copyleft license is the Open Gaming License ("OGL"). It is similar in principle to the LGPL. It can be applied to some of a work without affecting the parts identified as "Product Identity" by the contributor. So a game based on (for example) "The Matrix" could Open its rules and other materials without having to Open any of the core IP of the "The Matrix" brand, which would be marked as Product Identity. The OGL is not a Free license, and that places a limit on not only how much brand value can be lost, but also on how much can be created and returned. It is not a Free license because of its modularity and its termination clauses based on mis-use of Product Identity. But it is still the oldest and most successful example of a *hybrid* Open Content license.

This is very interesting.  I found a list of compatible gaming licenses from Wizards of the Coast at http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/licenses.html

Then, there is also a useful FAQ on the license at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/oglfaq/20040123f

The brand license is the d20 License. The d20 license allows any company to use the "d20" logo on their role playing games and supplements that use the d20 rules system if they meet various conditions

The d20 license is not any sort of Free or Copyright license. It is a value exchange or barter license: you give WotC some advertising, you give the community some content, and you get to use WotC's brand in return.

Very intriguing example of quid pro quo.  I suspect that this can be leveraged in other ways.

The interview with Dancy (VP of WoTC) also points out that it's possible to sell your own product based on the D20, without paying royalties to WoTC.  They really rely on network effects to boost sales of their core products.  <More to say on this in a moment...>

The d20 and OGL licenses have created an explosion in third-party content and driven WotC's sales. The (now ex-)WotC exec responsible for the OGL, Ryan Dancey, claims it was written in part to protect D&D for the community from events like its previous owners bankruptcy. But it was also written to boost WotC's profits, working with the d20 license to make as much of the Role Playing Game industry as possible a network driving sales of the core D&D rulebook, the Player's handbook (PHB).

The OGL has succeeded admirably in both its community and commercial aims. It is possibly a useful model for computer game modding or for opening other systems where brand and content want to co-exist and drive each others value.

Rob, this is the best example of a hybrid license I've seen.  Let me pull out two additional points from Dancey's interview and from the FAQ useful for modeling and also for fairness.

1 - Dancy offers a first rate example of the network effects issue that we should seek to model.  Quoting Skaff Elias, a sharp guy inside WoTC:

"All marketing and sales activity in a hobby gaming genre eventually contributes to the overall success of the market share leader in that genre."

In other words, the more money other companies spend on their games, the more D&D sales are eventually made. Now, there are clearly issues of efficiency -- not every dollar input to the market results in a dollar output in D&D sales; and there is a substantial time lag between input and output; and a certain amount of people are diverted from D&D to other games never to return. However, we believe very strongly that the net effect of the competition in the RPG genre is positive for D&D.

To parameterize this, we can examine (i) the level of network effects that grow a market versus (ii) the lag times after which complementary investments have an effect and (iii) the extent to which competition complements or substitutes for existing sales.

2 - The next section is a direct quote from the Open Gaming FAQ put out by WoTC.  It notes that in practice WoTC could sell 3rd party open content and remarks on the fairness of this effect.  Actually, there should be an economic way to achieve the right result.

Q: Does this mean that someone could take Open Game Content I wrote and distributed for free, and then put it in a product and sell that product to someone else?