cc-bizcom - [Cc-bizcom] Introducing flexible copyright licensing

cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A discussion of hybrid open source and proprietary licensing models.

  • From: Marshall Van Alstyne <marshall AT MIT.EDU>
  • To: cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-bizcom] Introducing flexible copyright licensing
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:52:49 -0400

Greetings, I'd like to announce the formation of a new discussion group on Creative Commons.

The goal is to develop a new form of hybrid commercial / non-commercial license for various kinds of intellectual property with particular emphasis on software.  We hope to combine the best of open source and proprietary models.  In so doing, we'll explore questions like:

        Can we create the greatest social welfare and the greatest innovation?
        Can we simultaneously benefit businesses, developers, and end users over the long run?
        Can we build models of the process of software growth and diffusion?

This group will represent a forum for lively discussion and will be charged with creating such a license.  More than just a set of interesting debates, we'll also try to build models of the processes of software growth and diffusion.  Thus the process of license design itself should become a kind of recursive open science.

To get things started, we've placed a 1 page Overview of a proposal and a longer Précis or description of economic tradeoffs at < http://creativecommons.org/discuss#commonwealth >. The new topic will be the "creative commonwealth" to capture the idea that creative innovation, sharing, and property rights need not be mutually exclusive.  It will be reachable at cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org .   We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Marshall Van Alstyne
Associate Professor of Information Economics, Boston University
Visiting Associate Professor MIT Center for E-Business
Co-chair of Licensing Working Group, Open Process Handbook Initiative