bluesky - A P2P file-sharing uberclient

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Ihor Kuz <melc AT fashionvictims.com>
  • To: p2p-hackers AT zgp.org, <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: A P2P file-sharing uberclient
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 13:40:34 +0200 (CEST)

Hi everyone,

As part of our cp2pc project we have started to design and develop a P2P
file-sharing uberclient. This uberclient is a single client application
that can publish, download and search for files on multiple P2P
file-sharing networks. So, for example, a file published using the
uberclient will be published on multiple networks, similarly, performing a
search using the uberclient will perform searches on multiple networks.

Besides the final application, a major goal of our project is to define a
unified file-sharing API. This is an API that abstracts the concepts
involved in P2P file-sharing and allows various different networks to be
accessed through the same interface.

So far we've studied a number of existing networks (Gnutella, mnet,
Chord/CFS, JXTA, GDN) and their clients to get a good idea of what
different kinds of file-sharing networks do and how they work. Based on
these studies we've drafted a design document describing a unified
file-sharing application and have designed a preliminary unified
file-sharing API. The design documents (and more info about the project)
are available at:
http://www.cs.vu.nl/pub/globe/cp2pc/

Our next step is to implement the API for a number of existing P2P
file-sharing systems. Before starting with the implementations, however,
we would like comments and feedback about our proposed application and API
from the people who are intimately familiar with actual P2P file-sharing
systems (both from a networking perspective as well as from an application
programmer perspective). Are there concepts and/or functions that don't
map well onto some existing systems? are there things we've overlooked? or
just misunderstood? Do you have any good ideas that can be incorporated
into an uberclient?

We are especially interested in comments about open issues such as:
whether to have a synchronous or asynchronous API, how to represent file
attributes and search results (XML, RDF, etc.), how to configure
individual networks, etc.

Hope to hear from you,

Ihor.

(PS I'm cross-posting this to the bluesky and p2p-hackers lists)

  • A P2P file-sharing uberclient, Ihor Kuz, 04/03/2002