bluesky - MFS compared to SFS

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: "Josh" <josh AT mercuryfs.net>
  • To: "Bluesky global storage list \(E-mail\)" <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: MFS compared to SFS
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 15:28:05 -0700

I've briefly read thru SFS's web site, and emailed them. From what I see,
it's a superior security add on for NFS.

I like their ideas, UNI ID and the S0 network will provide similar features
(once up and running).

You guys may want to checkout the Direct Access FS. They have taken NFS and
extended it in a very cool way. www.dafscollaborative.org

As for a summary of MFS, its available at www.mercuryfs.net/summary.pdf
The presentations are at www.mercuryfs.net/presentations
A set of scenarios which explain what MFS will try to do is a
www.mercuryfs.net/scenarios.pdf. In the scenarios are some footnotes which
reference the design and specific features which accomplish what the
scenario says it will. Our philosophy, license, a non competition pledge,
and other misc items are there too.

A brief comparison to CODA and AFS are also there. www.mercuryfs.net

Let me know if you guys have any questions, and any other similar projects.

- josh

  • MFS compared to SFS, Josh, 08/02/2001