bluesky - ocean store

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: "Josh" <josh AT mercuryfs.net>
  • To: "Bluesky global storage list \(E-mail\)" <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Charles \(E-mail\)" <charles AT mercuryfs.net>
  • Subject: ocean store
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 22:00:02 -0700

Based upon 15 minutes of reading, I don't see that ocean store separates the
file like MFS does. Also, their model of a utility-like infrastructure is
exactly what I'm aiming for. Where "the data is just out there". That's
TRUE location independence. I intend for everybody to get the same features,
only speed is the differentiation. Akamai's business model will be enhanced,
because I intend to build in a for profit model and general use model into
the quality of service / resource allocation algorithms, when they are
built. That way everybody can use it, and if you want to ensure that your
highly accessed files are replicated at the isp point of presences, there
will be some type of feedback mechanism. I envision storage and bandwidth as
commodities, when using MFS.

So far, ocean store and MFS have more in common than any other technology,
at least as far as our goals are concerned. I am anxious to hear back from
the leader of the project, I also emailed one other member. I'm sure one of
them ought to be a member of this group. I will get back with detailed
comparisons, via my web site. I intend to be a good central location to jump
to all similar projects. Aka I hope to build a good links page.

So far this email group has been very useful, I will check out the SFS
design in a while.

  • ocean store, Josh, 07/31/2001