bluesky - Re: the mercury file system

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Bram Cohen <bram AT gawth.com>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Steven Torres (E-mail)" <steven.torres AT oracle.com>, "Lana Akamine (E-mail)" <lana AT valinux.com>, "Charles (E-mail)" <charles AT mercuryfs.net>
  • Subject: Re: the mercury file system
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 19:25:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Josh wrote:

> True! However, I hope to entice the home users because of the other
> features, such as security and async mirroring (what will make The Internet
> as Primary Disk scenario a reality).

While it's natural to try and make your project do as much as it possibly
can, the failure rate of software projects is such that I for one try and
make mine do just one thing for one person. A successful project which
does very little is, after all, more useful than a failed one which tried
to do a lot.

-Bram Cohen

"Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent"
-- John Maynard Keynes