bluesky - Re: Root and Branch Naming

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Brandon <blanu AT uts.cc.utexas.edu>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Root and Branch Naming
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:26:54 -0600 (CST)

> One of the advantages of your explicit-server model is that it allows
> the key holder more control over updates. Otherwise you do have problems
> with cache staleness and distribution of updates. Freenet does not have
> a solution to this yet; OceanStore has a very elaborate mechanism that is
> supposed to chase down all copies of a document and update it.

Freenet does have a solution to this, it just sucks. :-) It's date-based
redirects, which allow updating that avoids cache staleness at the expense
of having a fixed update interval to which the publisher must adhere. (You
must update at every update interval. You cannot update sooner. You cannot
miss an update or else the information is hard to find until the next
update.) This system works well for periodicals and not very well for
arbitrarily updated information such as personal pages. There are some
improvements we can do, but this is the basic idea. We'd certainly like
something better, more spontaneous.