bluesky - Links

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: hal AT finney.org
  • To: bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Links
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:53:50 -0800

Things are moving fast in the P2P world. As most of us will have heard,
the recording industry is now going after OpenNap servers, armed with the
favorable appellate court decision in the Napster case. Many observers
expect U.S. based OpenNap servers to fold. This will be a good preview
of how well "jursidiction shopping" works on a widely used P2P system.

Here are a few links which I have found to try to keep up with what
is happening:

http://www.peertal.com/
This is a slashdot style site which depends upon stories and links
submitted by users. There is not much discussion and many of the
stories are business oriented. It gets about 2 to 3 stories a day.

http://www.openp2p.com/
This is the O'Reilly P2P portal. They were the sponsors of the P2P
conference held a couple of weeks ago. It has a very large directory
of P2P efforts, both commercial and free, usefully categorized as
file-sharing, distributed computation, super-distribution, etc.
There is also a news portal but it only gets 1-2 stories a week.

http://www.infoanarchy.org/
This is another slashdot style news portal with a bit of an underground
flavor. Activity level varies from a couple of stories a week to
several a day.

There are a number of other sites but these are ones I have found most
useful. Other suggestions would be appreciated.

Hal

  • Links, hal, 02/25/2001