b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 1:8 Jerusalem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hedrick Gary <garyh AT cjfm.org>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 1:8 Jerusalem
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 00:57:27 -0700

Gary:

Thanks.

Another option is that the events in chapters one and two of Judges are not in chronological order, that some earlier events were included to give historical background. For example, verses 10–15 refer to an action that happened while Joshua was still alive. So how many of the other actions through the end of chapter two are giving a background for what happened later?

The beginning of chapter three gives an overview of what happened in the rest of the book of Judges, before the details of each time were added later in the book. Only in Judges 3:7 does the story of the judges start, then with the first judge not an Israelite by birth.

So what I’m getting to is that there may be a truncation of events, that they truth may have been longer apart.

Yes, thanks, things are going OK with me. How about you?