b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Was: verb form - Proverbs 31:10-31— definition of aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Rolf Furuli <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Was: verb form - Proverbs 31:10-31— definition of aspect
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 03:42:13 -0700

Rolf:

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Rolf Furuli <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no> wrote:

 Dear Karl,

I have nothing to add to my last post except that I analyze the clause "He lived in Norway" as a tense (simple past) and not as an aspect.

You’re right.  in my reliance on context for understanding, I keep forgetting that conjugation refers just to the shape of the verb itself, and here it is the context, not the shape of the verb itself, that carries the perfective aspect.

Getting back to Biblical Hebrew, as in the example above, it is the contexts that indicate aspect, not the conjugations of the verbs themselves. That’s why I claim that Biblical Hebrew conjugations don’t code for aspect.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway