b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hebrew verb

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hebrew verb
  • Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 18:22:29 +0200

Dear Ruth,

It is a legitimate linguistic interpretation to say that a situation is
gnomic. But it can also be an excuse for not being able to explain the use of
verbs. I for one am very reluctant to explain the use of Hebrew verbsa as
being gnomic. It is not correct to say that in order to interpret Proverbs
31:10-29 as a present situation, the writer must have been an eyewitness. The
writer could have had a particular woman in mind, and a description of an
ideal wife need not be timeless.

In the 19 verses, there are 18 QATALS, 5 YIQTOLs, 9 WAYYIQTOLs, 2 passive
participles, 1 Niphal participle, and 1 active participle. Those who believe
that Hebrew has four different verb conjugations must in any case explain why
so many different verb forms are used to express timelessness. All the
finite verbs can be explained as having present reference in a simple way,
namely by interpreting the WAW (expressed as WAYY for phonological reasons)
of WAYYIQTOL as having a syntactic and not a semantic function. In that case,
there are 18 suffix forms (QATALs) and 14 prefix forms (YIQTOL) with present
reference. English translations of the WAYYIQTOLs consistently use "and"
before the English verbs translated from the WAYYIQTOLs.

But why use two different forms to express a present situation? Please look
at Psalm 2:1-4. Here we have two pairs of parallell clauses with present
reference, expressed by two YIQTOLs and two QATALs? Why the use of different
forms? One reason can be that YIQTOL represent the imperfective aspect and
QATAL the perfective one, and that the aspects are not mutually exclusive as
the English aspects are. Both aspects can be used in some situations, and one
of the aspects must be chosen in other situations. In my study of all the
verbs of the Tanakh, I analyzed 2,505 QATALs and 2,481 YIQTOLs as having
present reference.

To bring in the challenge that no one so far has taken, I refer to Jeremiah,
chapters 50 and 51:

111 QATALs; future reference: 59; past: 14; present: 10; present completed
(English "perfect") 21, present: 5; modal: 2.

55 WEQATALs; future reference: 55

YIQTOL: 82; future reference: 82

WEYIQTOL: 2; future reference: 2

WAYYIQTOLs: 6; future reference: 6

How will you account for the 59 QATALs with future reference, compared with
the 14 with past reference? How will you account for the 6 WAYYIQTOLs with
future reference?

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern