b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] to rolf

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] to rolf
  • Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 08:55:02 +0200

Dear Nir,

Because you are a matematician, I would like to bring Karl Popper ("The
Logic of Scientific Discovery") into this discussion. Popper states that a
scientific hypothesis must be falsifiable, which means that it must point to
some data, that, if they are found, the hypothesis is shown to be wrong. A
hypothesis which explains everything, explains nothing.

Languages are more fluid than physical data. Nevertheless, when we are
describing particular characteristics of a language, the parameters or
definitions we use must be so clear that these characteristics can be clearly
distinguished. If one definition is so vague or general that everything can
be subsumed under it, that definition is meaningless. This is the case with
your definition 2.

My definition (definition 1), which is the same as Comrie's definition,
predicts that if a language has tenses, one verb form uniformly has past
reference, except in special cases that can be explained as special cases,
and one form uniformly has future reference, except in special cases that can
be explained as special cases. Therefore, this definition meets Poppers
requirement. It predicts that in a language with tenses, there is a uniform
temporal use of verb forms. If we form the hypothesis that a particular verb
form represents past tense, and we find a reasonable number of of this form
with non-past reference, our hypothesis is falsified. This means that the
language is not a tense language, and the high number of examples of the form
with past reference, must be explained conversational pragmatic implicature
(=the context is the reason for the past reference).

Everything can be subsumed under your definition, and therefore it explains
nothing. First, tense is negatively defined, as everything that is not aspect
or mood. Second, "temporal relations" is a vague term, because most clauses
in a text directly or indirectly is put into a time frame. Even aspect
expresses temporal relations. Third, the word "grammaticalized" seems to be
used in a way that contradicts the way linguists use the term. Actually what
is "grammaticalized use which expresses temporal relations"? When I use the
definition "grammaticalized location in time," this is a restrictive term. It
means that a particular form with a particular morhology has an intrinsic
past or future tense. In other words, the past or future reference is not
caused by the context (=conversational pragmatic implicature), but by the
form itself (=semantic meaning). Your definition does not distinguish between
temporal relationships, and therefore it is meaningless.

Because you accept that Hebrew is not a tense language, if my definition is
used, you need not do much work with an analysis of Jeremiah 50 and 51.
However, a short time ago, there was a discussion of the meaning of the
Hebrew verb forms, where some list members expressed the view that Hebrew is
a tense language. I challenge these list-members to account for the temporal
references of the verbs of the mentioned chapters.

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway

Fredag 6. September 2013 05:51 CEST skrev "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat."