b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] reply to rolf

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] reply to rolf
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 04:12:20 -0200

by location of time i believe rolf means absolute past, present, future. as to comrie, i am not
sure: maybe just "grammaticalization of temporal information". i did not have direct access to his books on tense and aspect. i too understand location of time in this spirit.

the next question is: how to define the relevant temporal information grammaticalized in BH; this is what i called "type of time"

recall that grammaticalization is usually defined as a process that shifts semantic values from the lexical to the grammatical, e.g. english will shift from "verb: want" to "pre-verbal auxiliary word indicating future tense". actually, this definition is also not precise: grammaticalization can also change one grammatical value in another. e.g.
in the latin languages the passive became participle.

as to "quality of time", i am not sure what you are speaking about.

nir cohen

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 01:39:34 -0400, Isaac Fried wrote