b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Segol and Tsere

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Segol and Tsere
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 18:31:06 -0400

We have already mentioned that the segol is apparently an E/I or tsere/xiriq compromise (namely, segol = tsere plus a xiriq under it), as in the word אֶצְבַּע ECBA, 'finger', that was possibly called by some ICBA (with an initial xiriq, as suggested by the dagesh in the letter B), but was overruled by the NAQDANIYM for their own traditional or euphonic reasons into the existing form.

Similarly, the tsere (two dots placed horizontally) is possibly an E/A compromise (I vaguely remember that Rashi calls the tsere a qamatc qatan). Thus the word עֵגֶל EGEL, 'calf', for instance, is possibly a "masoretic" compromise, or override, of AGIL.

Isaac Fried, Boston University