b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] By Whose God did Goliath Curse...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] By Whose God did Goliath Curse...
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 16:42:46 -0200

dear uri, yigal,

if i may continue uri's comment, plus some free imagination...

it seems (1chr 20:5)that david's
wars with the philisteus took place much later, when david was
reigning in jerusalem. actually, before that david appears as an
ally of the philisteus (1sam 21, 27), though at other places,
a foe (1sam 19,23). and the sword of goliath was with the high
sacerdote (1sam 21:10). it is really remarkable that the text makes david
borrow this sword exactly when he flees to ... the philisteus!

this is just too much contradiction. here is a historical
interpretation which does not take the text to be historically correct.

david establishes himself as a local leader in judah, and a dissident to
saul's reign. as his military power is too small for direct confrontation, he
avoids direct war, flees to no man's land and eventually joins forces with the
philisteus (saul's main enemies). after the philisteus destroy saul in battle,
david fills in the space and assumes the throne, and with it his tribe judah
becomes prominent. then his interests change and he starts fighting against
his former allies, the philisteus. the rest is just stories invented by the
narrator (clearly of david's followers) directed at masking david's devious
strategy. in particular, he portrays the war with goliath and other wars
against the philisteus as if they occurred at a time when he was really
joining forces with them.

of course, all this is pure conjecture, and is not backed up by the text.

as to the other issue, which god it was, at least the text indeed implies that
davi's god was involved rather than goliath's. see 1sam 17:26,36. and
especially 45-47.

nir cohen