b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ezek 3:26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ezek 3:26
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 00:12:02 -0600

Hi Karl,

This is a follow-up to one of your complaints in your last post.  You said: "I’ve forgotten the name of this logical fallacy, but if you look at my message from July 19, you’ll see that my statement refers not to what followed my statement, but to “The grand majority of translations and commentators” that preceded my statement, to which your quote also disagreed. You conflated my statement to a context other than to where I applied it."

As I mentioned in my response to this post, I found this paragraph very convoluted and confusing; but I went back and reread your post of the 18th (not the 19th) I think I finally figured out what you were trying to say.  And I confess that you are indeed correct.  I thought you were making the statements about Wilson and Block, when you were actually making the statements about the "grand majority of translations and commentators."  So I apologize for misunderstanding that you were making these comments about the "grand majority" rather than about Wilson and Block.

However, please keep in mind that while I was ultimately disagreeing with the "grand majority of translations and commentators," I was not being critical of them, and I would still reject your characterization that they had not done their homework with regard to the Hebrew.  They are still very fine commentators, and a number of them had even considered the Wilson and Block suggestion and nevertheless rejected it.  So it still isn't fair to say that they had not done their homework.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary