b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The abbreviated form for Lord

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The abbreviated form for Lord
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 15:40:46 +0100

יהוה יהּ
This bothers me, if the name of God was declared with the 4 letters and spoken of course. If this name was the Holiest of names. Then what possible reasoning could be offered to explain its shortening in the song of Miriam, throughout the psalms and 3 places in Isaiah. Surely this would be like me shortening Jesus to Je? There emust have been a good reason for ascribing JaH as the ultimate in respect, since where it is used is accompanied within the context of exceptional praise? But that is a mystery. Can anyone explain please?

Chris Watts
Ireland