b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Five Rules for root-identification

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Jason Hare <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Five Rules for root-identification
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 09:04:01 -0400

The assumption that the different NIYQUD markings were designed for different vowel articulations is, in my opinion, but a wild guess. The Wikipedia article on the qamatz, for instance, is in my opinion but pure science fiction. The claim that the XATAPIYM need to be read B-XATAP, "snatchingly", is, in my opinion, a terminological joke.

There are people in Israel strongly calling now for the removal from the school curriculum of this meshugas that goes by the name of Hebrew grammar.

Isaac Fried, Boston University