b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Of Yehoshua bin Nun and his crossing the Jordan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Uzi Silber <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Of Yehoshua bin Nun and his crossing the Jordan
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 17:15:45 -0700

Uzi:

Was the Jordan always the narrow river that we see today? What was it like 3400 years ago when Joshua was alive?

A little background for the above questions—before the deforestation of the iron age, what are now dry washes in southern Israel were continuous flowing streams that could support Nile perch and crocodiles. Likewise was the Jordan 3400 years ago a deeper and wider river?

Secondly, Joshua 3:15 says that the river completely filled its banks, as it was the time of the spring runoff. Even with today’s banks, if the water completely filled them, would the river be a shallow, narrow river that people could wade through, or would it be above their heads? I’ve never been to the Jordan, but the pictures I’ve seen of it, particularly near Jericho, indicate the latter.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.