b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] אַלְמָנָה

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jason Hare <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] אַלְמָנָה
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 06:29:34 +0300

Great question, Michael.

I'd think of גְּרוּשָׁה for "divorced woman" and אַלְמָנָה for "widowed woman." I'd love to see if there are examples to the contrary.

Even-Shoshan states that אַלְמָנָה חַיָּה is a woman whose husband left here without getting a proper divorce. אַלְמָנָה, however, is specifically defined as a woman whose husband has died.

I've never heard of the word being used otherwise, and I'd also like to know if that's a conjecture or if there are examples to confirm it.

Thanks!

Jason