b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] would you give a command

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] would you give a command
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:46:58 -0600

Hi Nir

Thanks for the perspective, but I'm going to disagree with you on this one.  It is a ms imperative.  Remember that some verbs, especially statives, XZQ being one of them, have an "a" theme vowel in the imperfect, and this "a" theme vowel crosses over into the imperative.  And XZQ does have plural imperatival forms as well.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary
Edmonton, Alberta

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat. <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br> wrote:
  >>>  5. One interesting occurrence where both singular and plural
imperatives are used to address the same group is Hag 2:4 – “ ‘be strong all
the people of the land,’ declaration of Yahweh, ‘and work.’ ”  The first
imperative is singular and the second one is plural. It could, however, be
argued for this one that the plural imperative is directed not just toward
“all the people” but also to Zerubbabel and Joshua.

     "be strong" is not an inflected verb form in the singular. it is a
     formula for encouragement which only exists in the singular. i cannot think
     of an english parallel, e.g. i guess that even "be my guest" can be
made      plural.

nir cohen