b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] How Codex Leningradensis B 19A wasconstituted: diplomatically or eclectically?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: yodan AT yodanco.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] How Codex Leningradensis B 19A wasconstituted: diplomatically or eclectically?
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 08:55:21 -0600

Hi Bruryah,

A diplomatic text is one that has been copied from only a single manuscript.  Sometimes this is also referred to as a dedicated text.  An eclectic text is one that has been produced taking any number of manuscripts into account.

Philip's question was whether the Leningrad Codex was a diplomatic (dedicated) text or an eclectic one.  George responded that it was his understanding that it was a diplomatic text.

I think George is partially correct.  A colophon at the end of the Leningrad Codex indicates that the scribe who produced the codex did so from several manuscripts of Aaron ben Moses ben Asher.  What is not clear is whether these prior manuscripts were of individual biblical books, or entire codices.  I think it is most likely that it is the latter.

In any case, I think probably we should understand that the Leningrad Codex is a semi-diplomatic text.  It was produced, taking several manuscripts into account, but all those manuscripts are from the ben Asher tradition.

Further to this, Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia, is a dedicated or diplomatic text.  It faithfully reproduces the text of the Leningrad Codex, but of course makes notes in its text-critical apparatus about variants in other manuscripts.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd