b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] tense and aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] tense and aspect
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 08:28:09 +0200

Dear Isaac,

There are numerous discussions of tense and aspect in the archives. But in
order to answer your question and as information for new members of the list,
I will give a few points.

Tense is defined as "grammaticalization of location in time," which implies
that the time reference is an intrinsic part of the form (semantic meaning)
and not a function of the context (pragmatic meaning). The English forms
"bought" and "walked" represent simple past; this is their intrinsic meaning.
In hypothetical conditional clauses and in special contexts, these forms can
be used in a non-past way, but not in ordinary contexts.

Aspect means different things to different people; L. J. Brinton (The
Development of English Aspectual Systems, 1988) lists more than ten different
definitions of aspect. Most of these definitions are vague and tell us little.

In order to avoid much of the confusion of the different definitions, I use
three fundamental parameters (which have been used by linguists since 1949)
to define both tense and aspect; deictic center (C), reference time (RT) and
event time (ET). The deictic center is the vantage point from which an event
is viewed; event time is the time from the beginning to the end of and event,
and reference time is the portion of event time (small or great) that is made
visible by the utterance.

I define tense as the relationship between reference time and the deictic
center and aspect as the relationship between event time and reference time.
Tense signals the position of the event in the past, present, and future, and
aspect makes visible a part of the event and keeps the rest invisible. In
English, one clause can express both tense and aspect. Examples 1) and 2) can
illustrate the nature of the English aspects. In 1) ET is the time of the
walking event from its beginning to its end; RT is the sequence of in the
middle of ET that is made visible, whereas the beginning and end of ET are
invisible.
In 2) ET is the same as in 1). But only the end of ET is made visible.
Semitic aspects are in several respects different from English aspects,
because more parts of the ET than the middle part and the end can be made
visible in Hebrew

1) John was walking from his office to his home.

2) John has walked from his office to his home.

After I analyzed the 80.000 verbs in the Tanakh, the DSS, the Inscriptions
and Ben Sira in the light of C, ET, and RT,
my conclusion was that Classical Hebrew has no tenses (verb forms with an
intrinsic past or future reference), because all verb forms can have past,
present, and future reference. But Hebrew has aspects: YIQTOL, WAYYIQTOL, and
WEYIQTOL represent the imperefective aspect, and QATAL and WEQATAL represent
the perfective aspect.

In order to use a good methodology, I both made a synchronic and diachronic
study of the Hebrew texts. My conclusion is that whereas there are small
differences in the use of verbs in the younger books compared with the older
ones, the nature and use of the aspects are the same. In different languages
we can see a grammaticalization process, which means that a particular form
with different uses or different references, gradually loose many uses or
references, until it only has a few or only one use or reference—it is fully
grammaticalized. Several writers have claimed that such a grammaticalization
process has been the case with the WAYYIQTOL form, which at last, in some
writers' view have become a past tense, and in other writers' view have
become the perfective aspect. My conclusion is that such a grammticalization
process cannot be seen from the oldest to the younger books. The use of
WAYYIQTOL and the other forms is the same in the whole Tanakh.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway