b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Lexemes and meanings

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Barry <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Lexemes and meanings
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 20:51:18 -0400

On 5/11/2013 8:12 PM, K Randolph wrote:

> If one knows the original languages, is there any reason to read the
> Bible in translation? I’ve seen short passages included in other
> literature, and in discussions spoken in English, but just to sit down
> and read Bible for my own enlightenment, why English? Why any
> translation with its distortions that, even inadvertently because of the
> very nature of translation, creep into translation?

I agree that if you know the original language(s) well you should primarily read them, but accurate translation between even very different languages is not only possible, but happens all the time in real world situations. Relationships between governments and business would be impossible without such.

--
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Rident stolidi verba Latina