b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Joseph, Preserver of Life

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: stewart.felker AT gmail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Joseph, Preserver of Life
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 15:24:11 -0400 (EDT)

Mr. Stewart Felker:

1.  Could you please let us know how to obtain a copy of your article “Joseph, Preserver of Life:  Revisiting Ancient Near Eastern Mythologies in the Joseph Narrative”?  I for one have a great interest in that particular scholarly topic.

2.  In your academic analysis of Joseph as a “Preserver of Life”, I presume (without knowing, since I have not yet been able to obtain your article) that you may have made a close analysis of Joseph’s Egyptian name, and of the name of Joseph’s Egyptian wife.  Even if that perhaps is not a focus of your article, I presume that such topic is in any event of interest to you.

(a)  Asenath

I see the name of Joseph’s Egyptian wife as being directly related to Joseph’s role as “Preserver of Life”.  Although often overlooked by most analysts (but perhaps not overlooked by your article, which I have not yet seen), it is in fact clear per Genesis 48: 6 that in addition to bearing Manasseh and Ephraim to Joseph before Joseph’s father Jacob moved all the Hebrews to Egypt, Asenath was “abundant”/“fertile”, which is the Egyptian word aSA, thanks to “God”, which is the Egyptian word nTr, and bore Joseph many more sons after Jacob came to Egypt.  After taking into account the “confusion of gutturals” that I mentioned on an earlier thread, I myself view the intended first letter of this name as being ayin, not aleph.  I see “Asenath”, which in the received text is )SNT, as originally having been intended to be ($NT, which is the expected Biblical Hebrew rendering of the Egyptian words aSA and nTr from lines 48 and 49 of Akhenaten’s Great Hymn to the Aten.  On my view, “Asenath” means:  “Abundant (Fertile) [thanks to] God”.  That ties in closely with the theme of “Joseph, Preserver of Life”.

What is your academic analysis of the name of Joseph’s Egyptian wife?  Do you see that name as inherently embodying the theme of “Joseph, Preserver of Life”?  If the text is coherent (which I for one certainly think is indeed the case), then isn’t it clear that, despite the current academic consensus to the contrary, the name of Joseph’s Egyptian wife  s-h-o-u-l-d  embody the theme of “Joseph, Preserver of Life”?

(b)  Zaphnathpaaneah

As you are doubtless aware, Professor Donald Redford states at p. 424 of his book “Egypt, Canaan and Israel in Ancient Times” (1992) that it is “unanimously agreed” by the scholarly community that the single Hebrew letter ssade/C at the beginning of Joseph’s Egyptian name represents the Egyptian word djed, a word that has two distinct Egyptian consonants, with two distinct Egyptian consonantal pronunciations, and with both of such consonants being pronounced at all times during the time period of the Hebrew Bible (per the analysis of the preeminent Egyptian linguist, Antonio Loprieno, whose fine linguistic work your article perhaps cites).  When you assert that I am “anti-academic”, by that I presume you mean that, contrary to what is “unanimously agreed” by the scholarly community, I myself find it absolutely  i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e   that a single Hebrew ssade/C could, under any circumstances, render the Egyptian word djed in Biblical times.

What is your analysis of Joseph’s Egyptian name?  In particular, how do you view the Hebrew ssade/C as the first letter of that name?  Does that Hebrew ssade/C on your view embody, as it should, the theme of “Joseph, Preserver of Life”?

We would all like to learn from you as to your academic perspective on the important question of whether, and how, the Biblical Hebrew renderings of the Egyptian names of Joseph and his wife embody the key theme of “Joseph, Preserver of Life”.  After all, isn’t that the best, and most productive, way to counter any “anti-academic” aspects you seem to have discerned in my analysis on the b-hebrew list of those two Biblical Egyptian names?

Dr. James R. Stinehart

Evanston, Illinois

  • [b-hebrew] Joseph, Preserver of Life, JimStinehart, 05/10/2013