b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] בעדי

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Leake <jesleake AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] בעדי
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 03:31:24 +0100

I'm glad we are broadly in agreement, Karl. As for the following:

While apparent literary style varied between those two dates, there’s little evidence of language change.

Well, I'm not convinced, but then I've not researched it. As a gut feeling I think it unlikely that eight hundred years of often violent political and social change would leave no trace on the language bar style. But it's hard to see phonetic changes through our nicely normalized Massoritic text, and as for semantic change... Anyway, I've never looked at the Hebrew in that detail.

John Leake

ان صاحب حياة هانئة لا يدونها انما يحياها
He who has a comfortable life doesn't write about it - he lives it